Galaxy Interactive Tours
What is a Galaxy Interactive Tour?
How to create a Galaxy Interactive Tour?
Discover what is a Galaxy Interactive Tour
Be able to create a Galaxy Interactive Tour
Be able to add a Galaxy Interactive Tour in a Galaxy instance
What are Galaxy Interactive Tours?
An awesome way to learn how to use Galaxy or a specific tool, isn’t it?
How does it work?
A single YAML file: core.galaxy_ui.yaml
At the top of the YAML:
Metadata related to the Tour
id: galaxy_ui name: Galaxy UI description: A gentle introduction to the Galaxy User Interface title_default: "Welcome to Galaxy"
Content of the YAML:
Steps of the Tour
# A tour is made of several steps, each of them beginning with a dash '-' steps: - title: "Welcome to Galaxy" content: "This short tour will guide you through Galaxy's user interface.<br> You can navigate with your arrow keys and leave the tour at any time point with 'Escape' or the 'End tour' button." backdrop: true - title: "Upload your data" element: ".upload-button" content: "Galaxy supports many ways to get in your data.<br> Use this button to upload your data." placement: "right" postclick: - ".upload-button"
Definition of a step
||Header of each step-container|
||Text that is shown to the user|
||JQuery Selector of the element you want to describe / click|
||Placement of the text box relative to the selected element|
||Elements that receive a click() event before (
||Text to insert if element is a text box (e.g. tool search or upload)|
.footnote[Full reference of the properties]
How to obtain the JQuery Selector of the element?
Want to integrate Interactive Tours in your Galaxy instance?
- Select a YAML file
- From our community collection of Interactive Tours
- Create one by yourself
- Copy it to your tours directory or your Galaxy instance
- configurable via
- Restart Galaxy or reload the tour with the API, e.g.:
curl GALAXY_URL/api/tours/TOUR_FILE_NAME -d key=ADMIN_API_KEY
Want to contribute?
- Create Tours and share them with the world!
- Improve the Tours implementation
- Improve creating of Tours
- by enhancing the Galaxy Tour Builder web extension
Developing the Tours logic
- Tours initialisation:
- Tour styles:
- bootstrap-tour library:
- An Interactive Tour is easy to create: just a yaml file to fill
- Use the Developper Tools of find the JQuery Selector
- Help yourself by using the available web plugins and record an interactive tour